* Draws blood and obtains other specimens and transports specimens to the Laboratory.
* Introduces self and positively identifies the patient prior to specimen collection.
* Instructs patients on proper specimen collection procedures.
* Performs non-invasive cardiology testing (EKGs, Holter Monitors, and Stress Tests) according to department policy and procedure.
* Ensures that all applicable required Lab forms are obtained at the time of service.
* Researches unusual test requests using available resources, including but not limited to the specimen collection manual.
* Documents necessary information in both hospital information systems or on department log sheets for test interpretation by ordering provider or for regulatory requirements.
* Completes Cardiac Test ordering and billing information as required.
* Informs co-workers, medical / clinical staff, laboratory staff, and/or Supervisor regarding changes in patient orders, test requirements, and workflow or technical issues.
* Wears appropriate PPE per department and hospital policy and procedure.
* Assists with the collection and transportation of blood and other applicable clinical specimens. Provides assistance to nursing units regarding specimen collection and test requirements.
* Trains, orients, and mentors other staff members and clinical students under the direction of the Department Supervisor.
* Makes recommendations for improvements in quality and/or efficiency to the Department Supervisor and assists with the collection of data for quality assurance purposes.
* Handles and resolves specimen collection problems and initiates service recovery as needed. Informs Department Supervisor, if necessary, for resolution.
* Demonstrates the ability to maintain harmonious and cooperative relations with patients, visitors, medical / clinical staff, and co-workers and serves effectively as part of the departmental team in order to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency in performing a professional service to patients.
* Practices efficient and economical use of laboratory supplies; checks inventory, discards any expired items, orders supplies, and restocks upon arrival. Stocks the draw room and carts on a daily basis. Informs the Department Supervisor of any supply related issues.
* Participates in department staff meetings and attends all mandatory programs / meetings.
* Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, in-services, trade journals, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of the latest trends in the field of expertise.
* Responsible for maintaining testing areas and other work areas in a clean, sanitary condition for the safety of patients, visitors, and staff.
* Performs other work-related duties and activities assigned or requested by management.
Consistently provides service excellence to all patients, family members, visitors, volunteers and co-workers in a manner that reflects Cape Cod Hospital's commitment to CARES: compassion, accountability, respect, excellence and service.
Grade S8 / Job Code 7053
* Ability to read, write, and communicate in English
* High School Graduate or GED
* Successful passage of a Medical Terminology course or successful passage of the CCH Medical Terminology challenge exam.
* Good organizational and multi-tasking skills.
* Ability to work independently and to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
* BLS certification required.
* Acute care hospital experience preferred.
* PBT (ASCP) Certification Eligible [as defined by ASCP].
Grade S8A / Job Code 7054
* All qualifications of S8 position
* Certification in either EKG or Phlebotomy.
Grade S9 / Job Code 7133
* All qualifications of S8 position and certification in both EKG and Phlebotomy.