The Behavioral Health Integrated Therapist ensures high-quality and accurate assessment and management of behavioral health problems of our pediatric patients and provides health counseling of targeted patients as part of our integrated behavioral health and population health management programs.
Coastal Medical is Rhode Island's largest physician owned and physician governed medical group, serving patients in Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts. An equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, Coastal employs over 600 professionals in a variety of roles and functions including: physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, lab technicians, phlebotomists, nurses, medical assistants, IT personnel and medical billers.
Essential Functions of the Position (Illustrative Examples Included)
* Identification and stratification of the patient population * Identify and stratify the targeted population according to behavioral risk and needs * Develop, implement and update patient care plans * Manage a panel of patients which includes establishing care management plans, interventions, treatment goals and self-management goals in the areas of depression and anxiety management, smoking cessation, ADHD, 504 plans, coordinate with school based behavioral and educational programs. * Provide counseling for patients with chronic illness * Develop care plans for patients with quarterly updates * Review patient panel and document care activities monthly
* Coordinate Patient Care * Assess health care, educational and psychosocial needs of the patient/family over time
* Assist patients with self-management through education and telephonic engagement * Assist patients by conducting ongoing assessments telephonically, coordinating care conferences with providers and collaborating with the healthcare team * Assist patients in navigating the healthcare system * Engage patients to actively manage their health using cognitive-behavioral methods, motivational interviewing and mindfulness-based interventions * Encourage and support patients to maintain adherence to their care plans
* Collaborate with the practice care team and specialty care teams * Collaborate with PCP, patient and members of the healthcare team, including required health care services outside of Coastal Medical * Ensure open communication regarding patient status with physicians, office staff and patients' families * Identify and utilize cultural and community resources * Act as liaison to hospital, specialists and other health representatives
* Attend required trainings and practice team meetings as scheduled * Perform other related duties as required * See Patients in the office for consultations and conduct appropriate psychological treatment
Education and Experience
* Licensed Independent Social Worker (LICSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) licensed in the State of Rhode Island and in good standing * Prior experience working in a medical setting such as a primary care office or hospital-based setting, pediatric specific is a plus * Clinical experience providing brief behavioral interventions to patients with chronic health conditions
Skills and Abilities
* Possess a working knowledge of the biopsychosocial issues impacting a child or young adult with a chronic medical problem * Skills to assist families with parenting related problems * Ability to create systems and improvement processes and adapt to changing care processes * Patient engagement, assessment and support skills are essential * Ability to communicate compassion while maintaining equanimity * Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with and through others to achieve results * Able to maintain confidentiality with all aspects of information (including patient data) in accordance with the practice's philosophy and policies as well as state and federal regulations * Must handle the most sensitive and confidential matters with the utmost discretion * Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders * Ability to assess and differentiate priorities * Exercise sound judgment and decision-making * Highly organized * Excellent written and verbal communication skills * Proficiency with computer skills (i.e., Medical Record, Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, and Web-based applications)