Motor Technician, 2nd Shift
Compensation: $96,010.00 - $138,950.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
DRS Technologies provides leading edge products and services to government and commercial customers worldwide. Focused on defense electronics, we develop and manufacture a broad range of mission critical systems and components in the areas of communications, combat systems, battlefield digitization, electro-optics, power systems, data storage, digital imaging, flight safety and space. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com
DRS Naval Power Systems provides engineering and manufacturing services for Naval and commercial machinery systems. This includes the design and fabrication of advanced electric machinery including high performance torque/power dense permanent magnet motors, generators and associated power electronics, large rotating machinery, industrial turbine technology, packaged power and propulsion systems, mechanical equipment modeling and naval machinery inspection.
Job Location: Fitchburg, MA
DRS seeks an experienced Mechanical Technician. This contract position will be responsible for assembling motors, turbines, and all internal components, such as piping, alignments, wiring and testing. This is a 2nd shift position, 3:00 PM - 12:30 AM: OT available. Please note training will take place on first shift for up to 6 months.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will perform mechanical assembly operations and provide technical support to engineers on standard components and equipment using DRS established processes, procedures, and work instructions taking personal responsibility for quality of work performed.
- Perform mechanical assembly, disassembly and rework some test and repair of various products and mechanical assemblies
- Work from standard assembly drawings, operation sheets, engineering specifications and sketches and running sheets of significant complexity
- Use judgment in re-working to bring unit within quality control specifications
- Testing, inspection, and repairing mechanical assemblies
- Works under minimal supervision and may provide guidance to other technicians
- Ability to work in a team environment and capable of performing related manufacturing processes
- Interpret and follow written documents such as SOPs and safety rules
- Ensure compliance with all safety and regulatory requirements applicable to the company
- Interface with other departments to assure efficient flow of information and materials
- Meet production deadlines and quality specifications
- Ability to work overtime and/or off shift (2nd shift) when required
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated mechanical skills
- Ability to read blue prints
- Experience with a variety of tools including torquing, pneumatic and small hand tools, saws and grinders
- Ability to use measuring devices
- Knowledge of basic wiring and piping; and basic computer skills
- Perform calibration of certain tools and understanding of compliance issues
- Ability to coordinate several activities at the same time, and to reprioritize in response to changing operational conditions
- US Citizenship required
Additional Desirable Qualifications Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience with Permanent Magnet Motors, stacking laminations, installing coils including brazing, installing cooling tubes
- Machining skills desired
- Experience operating overhead cranes and forklift trucks desired
- Utilize special tooling, fixtures, lifting rigs designed for special jobs
- Previous experience assembling large, complex, rotating machinery a plus
Must be able to lift 50 lbs, bend, walk, stoop, climb, and kneel on a regular basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet #NPS
Associated topics: civil, fluid mechanic, heat transfer, hvac, leak, maintenance, meter, pipe, plumbing, sheetmetal
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...